This past New Years I made a double chocolate cake for the my grandfathers birthday. This was my first attempt at making a cake from scratch that was gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free, and dairy-free.
I had made cupcakes before, so I had an idea of where to start, but the pressure of making a birthday cake was pretty high.
My grandfather loves fruit so I knew there had to be something fruity about the cake. And what goes better with fruit than chocolate? I decided to make a two tier chocolate cake with raspberries on top.
I turned to Dollop Frosting to frost the cake. I combined their salted caramel and vanilla frostings, which turned out great!
- 1½ cups of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-1 Baking Flour
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- ¾ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- ½ tsp of salt
- ⅓ cup of canola oil
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of white vinegar
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1 cup of Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- 1 container of raspberries
- 1 container of salted caramel Dollop Frosting
- 1 container of Madagascar vanilla Dollop Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Combine the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt
- Add in the canola oil, vanilla extract, white vinegar, and cold water
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Pour into a 9 inch round cake pan
- Bake for 30 minutes - use a toothpick to check if it's done
- Let the cake cool for 15 minutes
- Once the cake is cool, frost with Dollop Frosting and arrange fruit as desired