This cake checks all the boxes for a crowd pleaser, plus it’s gluten, dairy, egg, and soy free.
My sister had her 21st birthday this past week, and I volunteered to be in charge of the cake. She’s a varsity swimmer, and loves the ocean so the whole party was ‘water’ themed. The balloons were shades of blue, we had seafood for dinner, and there were sunglasses, sea glass, and shells decorating the house. So of course in sticking with the theme, I wanted to make this cake water themed as well.
I decided to make a three tier (go big or go home, right) vanilla cake, and attempted to make both the cake and the frosting blue ombre using natural organic food dye I had found at the store. It’s was a good try, but the cake didn’t take the food dye so well. The batter turned an interesting share of blue/green (probably from the yellow hue of the batter) and when they were done baking they were right back to traditional vanilla cake color.
Thankfully, the vanilla frosting picked up the coloring perfectly. I used Dollop Gourmet Frosting in Madagascar Vanilla. If you’ve read the blog before you’ll know I usually skip making my own icing and instead head straight for the stockpile I have tucked away in my pantry. If you want to give them a try use the code MINDFUL15 to get 15% off your first order – I’ve tried a lot of vegan / gluten-free frostings, and this brand is by far my favorite. It also cuts down on the prep time, which is a nice added bonus.
In the end, it didn’t really matter that the cake didn’t turn out the way I was hoping. Everyone loved the cake, especially my sister, and we collectively decided it tastes like a cross between pound cake and a sugar cookie. Not to shabby. The recipe below is for one cake, but it’s easy enough to triple. Although, in all honesty, all you really need is one tier (it’s that decadent) unless you’re going for dramatic effect like I was.
- 1¾ cups of Bob's Red Mill 1-1 Baking Blend
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp of Kite Hill vanilla yogurt
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 containers of Madagascar Vanilla Dollop Frosting
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray cake tin with oil.
- Mix the gluten free flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the water, oil, yogurt, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix by hand until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 50 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely before frosting.